Court enforcement

In some cases, court action may be necessary to enforce the child support order. Your child support worker in the Probation Division or a private lawyer may request a hearing in Family Court.  At this hearing, the court will decide what action to take against a parent who owes child support. Both parents will receive notices to appear in court. The court will hear the case, examine the facts and reach a decision, based on the case.
The decision could include:
  • An order requiring an arrest, should the payment not be made as directed.
  • An order requiring immediate payment of past-due support in part or in full.
  • An order requiring a specific amount of payment in addition to the current child support order.