Termination Information for Non-Custodial Parents

If there is an existing Judgment of Divorce (JOD), Property or Marital Settlement Agreement (PSA or MSA), or support order that specifies a termination and/or emancipation date other than the dependent's 19th birthday, that date is still valid and must be honored as long as it does not exceed the child’s 23rd birthday (with the exception of a disabled child). Submitting a Request for Continuation of Support is not needed. However, if you still receive a termination notice, please follow the instructions for sending in a copy of the JOD or order containing the termination date so we may update our records. If you do not respond, the obligation may terminate on the incorrect date. 

If you have a court order and are ready to send it in, make sure to send it in with the original continuation request form—no fax or photocopies please! Feel free to make a copy for your records and send the original form to the New Jersey Family Support Services Center. This will ensure more timely and accurate processing of the form.  

If there are younger children that remain on the order after support is terminated and/or emancipation is granted for an older child, parents may file an application or motion with the court to adjust the child support amount. The modified child support obligation could either increase or decrease based on your current income. Click here to estimate how your child support obligation may be subject to change following termination based on your current income.  

If you receive a termination related notice or Civil Action Order – Termination of Support and your child is already emancipated with no arrears owed, it is most likely because the court had ordered health insurance coverage to continue or it was indicated as such in our records and has now been terminated. Please be advised that you do not need to take any action and that our records will be updated automatically.