Child support information for recently activated national guard and reserve soldiers

The NJ Office of Child Support & Paternity Programs (OCSPP) realizes that under Operation Enduring Freedom, many of you may be called to active duty, both at home and abroad. First and foremost, we join those who thank you for your service to our country.

OCSPP also realizes that some of you may be involved with our program as either a custodial parent or a noncustodial parent. You may have an order to receive child support, or you may be ordered to pay support for your children.

OCSPP wishes to inform you of our policies that address those of you called to active duty, particularly in the areas of review and modification, income withholding and medical support.

After reading the following, should you have additional questions, please contact:

* The local Child Support office to which your case is assigned;
* The OCSPP Customer Service Unit via telephone at 1-877-NJKIDS1

Review and Modification
A custodial parent or noncustodial parent who has been called to active duty for a period of more than 30 days may request a review and modification due to an income change. The income change is considered a substantial change in circumstances for purposes of review and modification. That means the Child Support Program will complete a review of the order regardless of the age of the order and complete a modification regardless of whether the new amount differs by 20 percent from the existing obligation.

If you request a review of your order and a modification, please include:

* A copy of your latest leave and earning statement; and
* A copy of your orders to appear for active duty.

Send your written request and this documentation to the Child Support unit at the county Board of Social Services in which you have an order. For the address, click on Local Offices in the frame at left.

Medical Support
If you are ordered to provide health care coverage for your child(ren) and have not done so, we will ask the military to enroll the child(ren) in the appropriate health care plan.

For more information on Military Personnel from the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement, click here.