Information on Income Withholding

Income withholding

When the non-custodial parent has regular employment, the preferred method of payment is income withholding, whereby a notice is sent to the employer, indicating the court-ordered amount, including any applicable arrears, to deduct from the non-custodial parent's paycheck.

If the non-custodial parent has more than one child support order, the total amount withheld from that parent's income would be distributed among all the cases.

Employers may send one check for all employees, but must include each employee’s name, case number and social security number, as well as the payment amount to be credited to each account. Checks should be made payable to the NJFSPC and mailed to the New Jersey Family Support Payment Center at P.O. Box 4880, Trenton, NJ 08650-4880. Employers may also remit payments via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). To set up your company’s account, you may call 800-559-3772 or email [email protected]. Payments are also accepted via ExpertPay at, a secure online payment application system where you can make a one-time or recurring payment directly from your bank account to the NJFSPC.

If you have to stop a payment, you must contact NJFSPC customer service at 1-800-559-3772 before contacting your financial institution to stop payment. If you do not contact NJFSPC, your check may bounce and you may be prevented from making future payments with checks.

Complete "Income Withholding for Support" instructions can be accessed by clicking here.