Frequently Asked Questions

What if the non-custodial parent moves to another state?

If the non-custodial parent moves out of New Jersey, the Child Support Agency will be able to get an out-of-state employer to take the support amount from his or her wages. If this doesn't work, you need to file a petition asking that the other state enforce your support order through its courts. The local office will let you know if this is necessary, and it will help you file the papers. Although there is no cost for filing the petition, some states charge a small fee for processing payments and may deduct it from the collection before it is sent to you.