Frequently Asked Questions

Can I change a child support amount if I need to?

A: Yes, but to change it, you must go through a process like the one when the child support order was entered. Whoever wants the change must file papers at the Court, and ask for a hearing or conference. The law says that whoever wants the change has to prove that there are major changes in their money situation that they can't control, and that the changes are going to last for a long time. If there is a good reason, the Court can recalculate the child support.


Another law says that support cases can be reviewed every three years to see if the support amount should go up or down, because of the cost of living or changes in income. Newer child support orders are subject to a COLA (cost-of-living-adjustment) and can go up without a hearing in some situations.