The Child Support QuickCalc provides a quick, approximate child support estimate.
Important: This Child Support Guidelines Calculator is for informational purposes only and is not a guarantee of the amount of child support that will be ordered. The results obtained are only as accurate as the information provided in the calculator. The actual child support order will be affected by other factors. The Court has the final authority to determine the amount of the child support order.
The complete text and charts of the Guidelines is more than 100 pages (in full-size type). In New Jersey, the Guidelines are set by Court Rule. The Rule number is 5:6A (the actual charts are an Appendix to the Rule, in the back of the Court Rules Book). Most major libraries in the State have a copy that you can read or photocopy. All law libraries in the courthouses have public copies. The Guidelines are also available on the Internet at http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/csguide/index.htm.
Click here to access the QuickCalc
Important Definitions as used in the QuickCalc and Guidelines:
CP – Custodial Parent. The Custodial Parent is the parent who has custody of the child(ren). A grandparent, relative or guardian of the child(ren) may also be a custodial parent if that person has custody of the child(ren).
NCP – Non Custodial Parent. The Non-Custodial Parent is the parent who does not have custody of the child(ren) and has a responsibility to support the child(ren).
Percentage of Parenting Time – is the amount of time the child(ren) is scheduled to spend with a parent. The Court will make the determination as to parenting time and custody.
Shared Parenting – If your child will spend 28% or more overnight time (104 nights per year or more) with the non-custodial parent you can select the Shared Parenting button on the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines Calculator or if shared parenting has been ordered by the court (or if you anticipate that shared parenting will be ordered).
Sole Parenting – If your child will spend less than 28% overnight time (less than 104 nights) with the non-custodial parent you can select the Sole Parenting button on the New Jersey Child Support Calculator or if sole parenting has been ordered by the court (or if you anticipate that sole parenting will be ordered).
Gross Income –
- Compensation for services, including wages, fees, tips, and commissions
- The operation of a business, minus ordinary and necessary operating expenses (see IRS Schedule C)
- Gains derived from dealings in property
- Imputed income
- Rents (minus ordinary and necessary expenses—see IRS Schedule E)
- Bonuses and royalties
- Alimony and separate maintenance payments received from the current relationship or past relationships
- Annuities or an interest in a trust
- Life insurance and endowment contracts
- Distributions from government and private retirement plans, including Social Security, Veterans Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, deferred compensation, Keoughs and IRAs; personal injury awards or other lawsuits
- Interest in a decedent’s estate or a trust
- Disability grants or payments (including Social Security disability)
- Profit-sharing plans
- Workers’ compensation
- Unemployment compensation benefits
- Overtime, part-time, and severance pay
- Net gambling winnings
- The sale of investments (net capital gain) or earnings from investments
- Income tax credits or rebates (excluding the Federal and State Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC))
- Income tax credits or rebates (excluding the Federal and State Earned Income Credit and the New Jersey Homestead Rebate)
- Unreported cash payments
- The value of in-kind benefits